The most prestigious AutoVAZ model is probably Lada Priora, which is good-looking, modern and safe. In 2012 it was called the most stolen car in Russia and it’s on the list of 25 cars with highest sales. The model appeared on the market on April 21 2007 as a sedan and a bit later hatchbacks and vagons were introduced too. Coupe models were produced too but in limited batches.
Configuration and design
Despite Lada Priora is a restyling model the changes it went through were dramatic. As for the measurements the length is 1690 mm, the hight is 1420 mm, the clearance is 165 mm and the weight is 1670 kg. The volume of the engine is 43 liters.
Lada Priora might be a Russian car but it was designed not without help from Carcerano studio from Italy, which came up with the interior solutions: depending on the configuration you’ll get airbags, window lifters, air conditioning system, sound insulation, audio system and what not. Also in contrast to Lada 110 anticorrosion protection became much better with warranty up to 6 years.
Car Lada PrioraVAZ-21116 has a 4-cylinder 8-valve 90 hp engine with 1.6 liter displacement size while VAZ-21126 has a 16-valve 98 hp engine. Suspension acquired better amortization and both front and rear antisway stabilizer bars were used. It’s worth mentioning that most of the parts, such as the timing belt, were imported, which also influenced the quality. The brakes remained the same though as AutoVAZ engineers considered drum brakes the best option.
When designing auto Lada Priora engineers has the ultimate goal of making it safe for both passengers and the driver in any weather and road conditions:
Daytime lights turn on and off automatically when you turn the key^ this way you won’t forget about the day lights and won’t get into trouble.
- LED stop and parking lights are brighter and work faster.
- Fortified safety door bars make the body sturdier.
- Fortified front seat frames add to the driver and passenger safety.
- Apart from front airbags there’re also side airbags for both driver and front seat passenger.
- A foam layer between the bumper and the body to increase amortization in case of an accident.
- A vehicle stability system, which helps navigate the car in extreme situations.
- Body frame which meets the EuroNCap program standard.
- ABS brake system works automatically in case of extreme braking.
Crash test results
With earlier AutoVAZ models the name of the car usually meant something in Russian: Niva is sort of a field, Lada itself is a boat, Zhiguli is the way mountains near Toliatti are called. But Priora doesn’t really mean anything. The name sure has to do with the word “priority” and maybe this name is a way of saying “This car is the company’s number 1 priority”.
- Till 2008 despite having been modernized the door handles were old-fashioned – the ones you have to lift rather than pull.
- Since Lada Priora was launched almost 1 million cars has been produced and sold making this model best selling in Russia in 2009 and 2012.
- Auto Lada Priora is considered to be one of the most affordable cars in Russia being in the economy segment of AutoVAZ production.
- There is VAZ-21708 model with a body longer by 175 mm and it’s not manufactured by AutoVAZ, but by its partner. This model id produced in limited batches and has a 120hp 1.8 displacement size engine.
Hatchback and vagon Lada Priora models have been removed from the official site of Lada and there’s only sedan left there. Usually such changes mean that the company just stopped taking orders for these models, but it might be that Lada Priora in these configurations will no longer be manufactured. The only way to find out what is actually going on is to wait for the official announcement from the company, which hasn’t happened yet leaving everyone to their guesses. Most likely the model will live on and appear on the site just a bit later: it has happened dozens of times when Priora production was about to be closed but somehow went on having made it till now.
As for the sedan, it keeps being modernized and perfected: the technical condition of the car has to meet all the standards on safety and environment in at least Russian Federation, which keep changing. For example, starting 2017 all new cars manufactured and used in Russia will have to be equipped with Era-Glonass system which has already been designed for Lada Priora. Living up to European standards is also important for AutoVAZ as they don’t want to fall behind, but taking into consideration low export rates in case of Lada Priora it’s probably not worth it. Actually Priora has been on the verge of discontinuation that AutoVAZ believes it has no future. The model basically is living its last years and will be soon out of production. The exact date is unknown: at first it was supposed to be November 2018, but now they’re not even sure it’s a good idea to wait this long. The thing is that the only reason Lada Priora is still being produced is that its discontinuation would leave the third production line out of business with Lada Vesta production transferred to Izhevsk. This line is really up to date and is able to produse 220 thousand cars a year and it would be a waste to leave it just to small batches of 5-door Lada Niva 4X4, which is also produced there. Closing this line would be too expensive and it would also mean a lot of people would become unemployed and AutoVAZ is not ready to take this measure.
Is Lada Priora still popular with Russian people. It actually is being both affordable and reliable and the sales are still pretty high. But despite demand Priora fans have little time left to buy a new car: changes are coming and Lada Priora is bound to give way to new models, which hopefully will be only better.